There are many ways to increase the value of your property, whether you are looking to sell your home or make improvements for your family to enjoy. Here are our top 10 ways to increase your property value in London:
1. Convert Your Loft
Space can be limited in cities such as London. Loft conversions have become one of the most popular ways to increase your property value, especially for London home-owners. Not only will it increase the value of your property but also increase the living space. This can be more cost-effective alternative to moving into a new property. Whether you add a bathroom, bedroom or home office, a loft conversion is valuable addition to any home.
Benefits of Loft Conversions
- Energy efficient – natural heat distribution means that lofts keep warm. This will keep running costs and heating bills to a minimum.
- Flexibility – loft conversions can be transformed into a variety of different living spaces such as bedrooms, bathrooms or home offices.
- Minimal disruption – building works can be very disruptive to homeowners, however loft conversions cause minimal disruption to the existing living space in your home.
- Cost-effective – extending the living space in your home can be more cost-effective than moving properties.
2. Modernise Your Kitchen
Modernising your kitchen can be one of the most valuable home improvements you can make. An updated kitchen can save energy costs, increase storage space and improve safety and comfort. This type of home renovation can increase the value of your property by up to 10%, as well as giving you the opportunity to build your dream kitchen.
Benefits of Modernised Kitchens
- Increased storage space – whether you expand your cupboards or install extra shelves, it will help keep your kitchen organised.
- Improved safety – updating your old appliances is a good way to ensure safety when preparing food.
- Increased efficiency – modern appliances are more energy-efficient and would therefore minimise gas and electricity bills.
- Increased functionality – the addition of new appliances and features will increase
3. Convert Your Garage
A garage conversion can increase the value of your property by up to 20%. This can be a great way to add valuable living space to your home. Popular garage conversions include home offices, gyms and playrooms. The space can also be used to expand the interior of existing rooms such as livings rooms, dining spaces and kitchens. Some homeowners opt to convert their garage into an annexe. This could be to home a family member or to rent out.
Benefits of garage conversion
- Extra living space – whether you need n extra bedroom or somewhere for the kids to play, extra living space will always come in handy.
- Cost effective – when compared to moving into a new property, converting your garage into additional living space can be cost-effective.
4. Install Air Conditioning
With summer temperatures on the rise in recent years, air conditioning installations have become increasingly popular in cities such as London. Apartments and listed buildings can become particularly uncomfortable in the summer months. Water-cooled air conditioning is a popular choice for London residents. These units are ideal for restricted properties as they do not require an external condenser.
Benefits of air conditioning
- Increased comfort – Air conditioning allows your to maintain an optimum temperature in your home and maintain a comfortable living environment.
- Energy efficient – modern air conditioners are optimised to be energy efficient which will keep energy bills down.
- Improved air quality – ac systems filter out pollutants such as dust, pollen and other allergens from the air.
- Improved sleep – a cool bedroom, as well as ‘sleep’ modes on helps improve the quality of your sleep.
5. Add a Conservatory
Conservatories can be an asset to your property. It is said that a conservatory can increase your property’s value by 5%. Not only do they provide additional space but are more cost-effective than an average home extension. It is essential that you hire a reputable contractor to ensure that all aspects are installed properly.
Benefits of conservatories
- Increased living space – conservatories are versatile and serve as dining rooms, living rooms or play areas for children.
- Increased natural light – consisting of large glass panels, conservatories add lots of natural light to your home. As a result, you will require less electricity and heating.
- Unifies the indoors and outdoors – enjoy your garden all year around in the comfort of your home.
6. Add Garden Appeal
Garden space is limited in London. If your property features a landscaped garden, it would make a big impact on your property’s appeal. According to a survey, 93% of the nation are more likely to attend a viewing if the house’s exterior is well maintained. Depending on the type if features you add to your garden will determine the value added.
Benefits of garden appeal
- Increased desirability – a well maintained garden will make your home more appealing, especially in London where garden space is limited.
- Increased value – Adding desirable features such as a swimming pool, hot tub or professional landscaping can add significant value to your property.
7. Update Your Bathroom
You spend a fair amount of time in your bathroom on a daily basis, so it’s important that you have a space that you enjoy. Outdated designs that do not match your style or needs can affect your mood on a daily basis. Creating a bright and inviting space can make all the difference. On top of that, an updated bathroom could add between 4-5% to the value of your home.
Benefits of an updated bathroom
- Improved design/aesthetic – modernising outdated designs will increase the appeal of your bathroom to both you and potential buyers.
- Increased functionality – whether you add storage space or a new bath or shower, you can tailor your remodel to suit your needs.
- Energy efficiency – old lights, showers and toilets could be costing you more in terms of energy and water bills. Adding energy efficient light bulbs and water saving shower heads and toilets, will save you money in the long run.
8. Convert To Open-Plan Living Room
Open-plan living areas are a great way to make your property look big and modern. It is said that they can add up to 15% to the value of your home. It can also make your home more inviting for guests and allow you to host bigger events. If you have children, it can be great way to keep an eye on your little ones, while you continue with your daily tasks.
Benefits of Open Plan Living Area
- Improved aesthetic – an open plan living area can give your home a more modern look, while creating a bigger and more inviting living space.
- Great for entertaining – a bigger area will allow you to have larger gatherings, where family and friends can eat and relax in the same space.
- Improved lighting – an open plan area will allow more natural light to enter the space, especially if you install glass doors to the garden.
9. Take Energy Saving Measures
With the world moving towards a more sustainable future, installing energy saving measures in your property will significantly increase the value and appeal of your home. Some government schemes can help you implement energy saving measures like solar panels by providing grants. Read more on the average price increases for homes across the country here.
Benefits of installing energy saving measures
- Increased desirability – eco-friendly and energy saving features will make your home more appealing to potential buyers.
- Lower energy bills – having a source of renewable energy will have a drastic effect on your energy bills.
- Lower carbon footprint – energy saving measure will not only benefit you but will make a positive impact on the planet.
Redecoration can be a valuable addition to any property. It is important to note that you should ovoid over-personalising your interior décor in order to appeal to potential buyers. If you are looking to sell your property, sticking to neutral colours is best.
Benefits of redecoration
- Improved mood – walking into a newly decorated space that you love can improve your mood and decrease stress levels.
- Increased appeal – buyers will be drawn to homes that have been newly painted and redecorated.